[meteorite-list] Fw: wire saw cost (Benefits of the wire overblade?)

From: mail at mhmeteorites.com <mail_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 02:46:38 +0000

Also the wire saw has industrial uses a lap saw couldn't handle. We have cut big pure silicon blocks (6" tall) at 0.5mm thickness. Or how about a 5" x 12" block of spinel that costs 25,000, cut at 0.25mm thickness. A lap saw would eat this material and send shards of glass everywhere. When companies need thin slices with minimal loss they call on the wire saw.
Matt
Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites
http://www.mhmeteorites.com