[meteorite-list] Help with Ebay bidding

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 00:42:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello Listers,
?
I have been reading this Post and another Post about about weight and attractiveness and?I can say there is a lot of pros and cons that have been listed. But I think the bottom line is the way you collect meteorites is in your own right and no one else. This is what I like about meteorite collecting, is that your collection can be unique from someone else, even?if you both?have the same meteorites. Can you do that with collecting coins or baseball cards?
?
I see that any way from collecting meteorites is your right way. If you collect meteorites on?the micro scale, or whole specimen scale, or thin sections, or gram size, or historic falls to?beauty, its all in the eyes of the behold, YOU. I can say that collecting a whole meteorite is the best way because its in its true natural?state and?looks like how it fell the day it landed on?Earth. But?on the flip side, I can say well whats the fun in collecting whole?meteorites, you dont get to see whats in side and the outside looks the same.?
?
Thats the beauty with collecting meteorites, everyone of use.... LISTERS will have a meteorite collection?that is unique?from anyone else and that just the collecting side. What about presentation and how?you show off your meteorites. Good example is a pallisite suspended in oil and put in a frame. To beat that, one could put an LED light panel behind the pallisite and back light it. The list goes on.??
?
But I do feel that there are some factors to think about when collecting?and thats weight, which has been in question with an ebayer, the cost, where did it come from, is it a historic meteorite, does it have paper work, and is it beautiful in no particular order. But again, you might buy only historic falls with the actual museum labels, or meteorites that are whole specimens, or you might only collect slices to micros.
?
Now I do have to say, factoring these elements in,?that money has a big deal?on how I collect and I bet on how?others collect. If I had a lot of money to spend on meteorites, I might buy bigger or more, or might buy as much as I can and try to get every?single meteorite out there. Or if I had a big budget and only wanted to get micros because I have this million dollar display case house out of crystals to show case my micros off, so be it.
?
The bottom line is?no way is the right way to collect only your way is the right way?and dont let anyone else say other wise. But keep in mind, the weight, cost,?where it comes from, and if you really want to add that meteorite to your collection.
?
?
Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633