[meteorite-list] ALH 84001

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 23:46:11 -0500

Hello New Collectors ( and everyone else too!),

I have been collecting meteorites since soon after NASA made the
announcement in August, 1996 of ALH 84001. Some on the list have been
collecting more than I, some less. I would like to share with those new to
the collecting field how I go about valuing a given meteorite. It is not a
perfect procedure, but it has served me well.

I come from a background in statistics. I am particularly fond of
multivariate analysis and used to be pretty good at it. ANOVA, MANOVA, etc.

Whisper orthogonal vs. oblique rotation in my ear and I get shivers.
Brrrrr.

However, you get away from academia/scholarly pursuits for 20 years and you
get a little rusty :-)

Anyway...

In deciding whether or not to purchase a meteorite, I first decide what the
meteorite is worth TO ME. A valuation. When I value a meteorite, I borrow
heavily from the statistical procedures discriminant function analysis and
multiple regression analysis. In non-stat terms, you take a set of
variables (we will call them independent variables) and use them to either
predict or classify another variable (dependent variable). The dependent
variable is my final price-purchase/no purchase decision.

Asking price is a variable - one variable. Other variables include size,
characteristics, (slice vs. endcut, vs. whole specimen, etc.),
historical/cultural/scientific significance, perceived rarity (though this
variable is taking on less-and-less importance to me), what a piece has sold
for in the past, etc.

There are also some intangible variables such as perceived honesty and
importance of the seller and whether or not I know and like the seller.
Provenance also (but not much).

Now, I do not perform a formal statistical analysis on a piece. I do this
informally. I weight each variable then decide what a piece is worth to me.

I arbitrarily set the valuation of ordinary chondrites and irons at
$1.00/gram, then mentally add and subtract according to the weight of each
variable. Lunar and martian meteorites (what I am most interested in) are
assigned an arbitrary value of $600.00/gram before I start adding and
subtracting.

The whole procedure takes seconds. Informally, in my head. It sounds a bit
cumbersome and tedious but it really isn't.

You new guys and gals have to decide what works for you.

Don't get emotionally caught up in a bidding war (on ebay) and don't be
afraid to ask the dealer or seller if they will accept a lower than asking
price. You should approach the seller with an idea of what the meteorite is
worth TO YOU before you make a bid or an offer to purchase.

Anyway, just thought I share.

Happy collecting,

-Walter Branch