[meteorite-list] Meteorite slicing, polishing and imaging

From: Rob Holcomb <rob.holcomb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:25:52 -0800

I'm thinking about slicing up my 4 kg of unclassified ordinary Chondrite
meteorites (since I haven't been able to sell them) and had a few questions.

Do those of you that have saws recommended a specific blade? width? type?
Do you "etch" the surface the same was you would with typical metallurgical
samples?
And, what would be the highest polish you'd use? I have access to automatic
polishers and can use slurry materials down to about 50nm.
Would images be acquired using polarized light? I don't see much crystalline
material in my slices so far and wonder if there is a benefit.
Can you suggest a surface protectant that can be used on the slices? I'm
thinking about using a clear acrylic or silicone material to embed the
slices.

Anyway, my plan is to supply these slices to a local silversmith to fashion
into some great jewelry.

Rob H
http://www.processchemistry.com