[meteorite-list] Large Bolides / Meteors Reported

From: Elizabeth Warner <ewarner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:09:52 -0400

Well, I think the MD fireball is just an observation of the launch of a
Minotaur rocket from Wallops Island. The rocket was carrying the ORS-1
satellite. Launch occurred at 11:09pm. There were some (low) clouds in
the area so it would have seemed to 'disappear'...

I viewed the launch from Alexandria, VA... There were several hundred if
not thousands of folks watching the launch from DE down to NC, so if
there was an actual fireball, I would think we would have seen more
reports...

And it was very red at first and seemed to disappear very momentarily
which I attribute to low clouds...

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/missions/orsinfo.html
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/news/release-11-18.html
http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/