[meteorite-list] trips to the Moon (Moon bases and meteoriterecovery)

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:04:53 -0400

Hi Richard and thanks for the defense from the heart (to the choir of
course). Like I said, If I could sign the $800,000,000 funding check
(which would equate in one measure to $14.1 million per gram of
material returned), I would do it in a heartbeat because it is another
program I'd like to defend.

I understand your points, I'm just a little fuzzy on why this has to be
such a competition due to the relative mission costs and completely
different objectives. The libration point mission I propose which you
want to call "street sweeping" could probably be had for a tenth the
cost of the relatively inexpensive program you have so much pride,
OSIRIS-Rex, so I wouldn't even put them in the same class. And they
aren't: O-R is a "New Frontiers" project with a higher price tag which
beat out a fight with a sample return mission to the far side of the
Moon, while the libration mission would be part of the low budget
"Discovery" program projects, and likely one of the cheapest ones at
that. A libration mission doesn't even need to completely escape
Earth's gravitational field - it's only about 200,000 miles which is
tantalizing to me as I look at the same number on my truck's odometer.

I guess things are tense around there so please don't take the 'pet
project' comment in a dismissive light at the early morning hour you
wrote the reply, much less find some way to personalize it to a career
which is a ridiculous thing to do when discussing the relative benefits
of two missions. We all have pet projects that are driven by our
passions, professional interests and just a gut feeling. A pet project
is the one endearing to you. Forgive me if we all have different
perspectives - but are on the same team. If we didn't champion our
projects to earn the support or respect for them from others, the world
would be a a much poorer place for it.

Regarding the funding, we can all related to that - you know how most
professional meteorite hunter feels with every big mission they take
on; in a far worse support situation than in a University jockeying for
funding. I don't mind your being dismissive to equate
meteorite/meteoroid/tiny body hunting in space to "street sweeping"
rather than coming up with some fancy named project as I asked for a
Meteoroid Exploration Traveler to L's, like Athena-MEt-L for studying
the birth of the Earth-Moon system which may have been created when
Earth was cracked open with a hammer like Zeus' head was by Hephestus
birthing Athena, thunderbolt in hand ... But it would be nice to get a
little more respect for it than street sweeping,.. though cute, for
some it has its connotations that would make it a terrible marketing
strategy and be instantly dismissed!

Speaking of the value of returning pristine meteoric material to Earth,
any more exciting news from the Stardust analyses lately?

Kindest wishes
Doug

PS I think I'll go back to lurking after hopefully responding to
Sterling's perspectives at some point