[meteorite-list] Space Shuttle...honorary stories

From: Richard Montgomery <rickmont_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:59:48 -0700

Hi List,

While the 'heat-tile' subject is still 'hot' and since our beloved fleet
nears the end of its 'scheduled missions' I offer a story, and invite others
after this:

(Stick with my personal indulgences along the way...especially those of us
have music in common....they will pay off!)

START: back when I witnessed the hand-helf Heat-Tile firing with the
acetalyne torch (1978-80?), at a party, I was a guitarist in a 5x bluegrass
band: Steve, a banjo guy, but this time playing bass; Buzz, another
guitarist; Dave, banjo-player extrodinaire; and me, newbe guitar guy.

MIDDLE: One day, between tunes, we all sat around and shared our future
passions....Buzz said he wanted to be a software designer in Silicon Valley
after he finished his electrical engineering degree (we were all at
UCDavis); Dave wanted to go on to be accepted for his Masters somewhere and
be a farm advisor; I wanted to continue studying guitar and somehow be
David Grisman's guitar player, following Tony Rice and Mark O'Connor in the
role (good luck, me!); and Steve said he wanted to be an astronaut.

This was in 1978......Really?!!!

All of us achieved our goals...Buzz, yes; Dave, yes; Me yes....and.....

Steve Robinson....banjo-player extrodinaire....yet more noteably known for
his stellar Mission Specialty trips up to the Space Shuttle. (Those of you
in the know, KNOW!) I captured the DVR from the NASA-channel, watching my
music pal inspecting the tiles in zero gravity....

How cool is that!!!

-Richard Montgoemry