[meteorite-list] Named minor planets

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:43:56 -0700 (PDT)

There are thousands of named asteroids. I'm not sure if anyone has complied a list yet, but it could be a rainy day task for someone who has the interest.

If you go to the JPL Orbital Diagram page:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/

You can enter the name of a candidate. To find all of the objects with that name contained in it, add an asterisk before and after the name. For example, for Rob Matson's rock, I entered *matson*

If you follow this example too, you'll see two objects, 2586 Matson (1980 LO) & 73491 Robmatson (2002 PO164). 73491 Robmatson is a more obvious result because of the exact name match, but reading the citations helps confirm its named for the person you think it is. If there is only a single object with this name, it's page will appear automatically. Still confirm that it is for the person you believe it is.

Such list would be helpful to know who has been so honored, but would also be helpful in pointing out any that are worthy but so far are missing.
?
--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography