[meteorite-list] Stones with High Troilite, Low Metal

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:10:52 -0400

Dear Carl, Doug, and List,

Carl, your classification of NWA 6588 reads very close to this one! Thank you for that link.

Am I sure the sulfide in mine is all troilite? Absolutely not. Is there a test for it that I can do?

I'm only going by my experience of what I've seen in books, the net, and the classifieds and non-classifieds that I have here.

The lack of obvious nickel or iron and (what I think is) lots of troilite is what piqued my interest enough to ask if there was similar out there.

You indicated in your classification that this was indeed unusual.

Since there aren't any photos of NWA 6588 online yet, I'd appreciate your viewing these of mine:

http://tiny.cc/ymksq

http://tiny.cc/ymksq

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=B8A3E8CAAAC69704&id=B8A3E8CAAAC69704%21114&sc=documents

in case the tiny doesn't work.

Anything that appears reflective, white, or gold coloured is what I suspect is troilite.

The sulfide appears to be sprinkled into individual grains further away from concentrated areas.

I didn't try to Photoshop the true colour back in, but a dark khaki grey is more accurate for the matrix.

As with any meteorite, the pictures don't do the actual beauty justice ;)!

Cheers,

Pete