[meteorite-list] 2011 MD Animation

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:04:43 -0500

Hi, John, List,

Richard got to the hot pixel answer before me (naturally),
but some clues are the the absolute fixity of their positions,
their unchanging brightness, and the fact that they are
scattered all over the frame. If they were "real" objects
and true "companions," they would be of low mass compared
with 2011MD. They would be in orbit around 2011MD. In
nearly five hours motions would be apparent. And... they
would be much closer.

Asteroidal masses do not have companions; they have
"moons." There are at least 180 asteroids with "moons"
that are known and probably many thousands more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_planet_moon

Sterling K. Webb