[meteorite-list] NASA could sell...

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:23:24 +0000

Personally I completely disagree with the cost estimate of 5-8 billion, a simple small robotic sample mission really ought to be not too difficult (Russia did Lunar sample return on a total shoestring in the 60's). I would send a simple, small lander, grab some rocks in a scoop then take off and return. (Turning the mission into a full rover prospecting mission is bound to increase the cost drastically!)

 The stardust mission for example cost around $200 Million (that was a sample return all be it a space capture). A lunar sample return would be much cheaper than a Martian one obviously, but small mars rocket motor designs and a return module have already been studied in several different NASA/ESA feasibility proposals, and I would be surprised if they cost anything like 5 Billion, I rekon it could be done for less than $500 Million, if it was a simple small grab and return system.

 I'd also do it using a cheaper and more fuel efficient return method than traditionally, such as Ion engine technology, it would take much longer but would require much less of a fuel payload than a conventional return to earth would, then I would advocate using the ISS as a capture and return lab, rather than risking a traditional re-entry, this would save money too, as you wouldn't be returning a complete re-entry vehicle back from mars!

I think you would easily sell a few kilos of Apollo moon rock with no trouble at all, there are enough rich billionaires (probably they would not even be meteorite collectors) out there who would snap it up, it would be a truly unique opportunity this would attract plenty of speculators -it would be a different market than meteorite samples.

Besides plenty of people would buy microscopic amounts (put me down for an Apollo 11 super-micro any time!!).

Best,
Mark