[meteorite-list] Stones with High Troilite, Low Metal

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 01:02:19 -0700

Hello Laurence, Doug, All,

>From an NAU site about R-chondrites:

"sulfide rich: pyrrhotite and pentlandite very common, minor troilite;
pentlandite commonly contains Cr up to 2 wt%, troilite may contain Ni
up to 3 wt%"

http://www4.nau.edu/meteorite/Meteorite/Rumuruti.html

Which raised the question -- what is troilite and what is pyrrhotite?

"Pyrrhotite is an unusual iron sulfide mineral with a variable iron
content: Fe(1-x)S (x = 0 to 0.2). The FeS endmember is known as
troilite."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhotite

So, troilite is always pyrrhotite, but pyrrhotite isn't always troilite.

I don't know whether the sulfides in R-chondrites is primarily FeS
where S=1 or S<1, but the distinction is rarely made except in
academic circles. In fact, none of the following top hits goes into
any depth regarding pyrrhotite vs troilite concentrations in
R-chondrites. These were the first three I found:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1994Metic..29..275S

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1994Metic..29..255R

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0009281911000237

- The only source I found in my short quest for knowledge that
bothered to note how much "troilite" is (typically) present in
R-chondrites is the NAU website.

You may well be right, but since troilite is typically present in
rather minor concentrations in most meteorites, I have the feeling
that they are not depleted in it relative to most other types...but I
could be wrong.

For the purposes of Pete's visual observations, I think we can assume
that he meant sulfides in general, since I doubt he has the analytical
capability to tell between FeS (S=1) or FeS (S = 1 to 0.8).

When I saw Pete's note, I immediately thought of R-chondrites,
too...though I wonder if his stone might not be an LL-chondrite. We
have a few R's, and when poked with a neodymium magnet, the pull is
*barely* discernible, to the point that I might call them entirely
non-magnetic if I weren't being careful.

Regards,
Jason