[meteorite-list] Moon Dust

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:19:12 -0400

JG wrote to MG:
"What law are you talking about?"

Ditto! A fact-supported discussion would be so much nicer.

It is my understanding that when Apollo lost its funding, oodles of
relics entered the private domain and there wasn't much ado about it -
rather, a tacit acceptance and a party atmosphere pervaded in the wake
of Moonphoria and non had any scientific value at the time. Where are
the retroactive vigorous sting operations hunting down these national
treasures? I am sure the same "laws", whatever they might be, cover
them.

Post-facto contrived rules are a violation which seems to date to the
Magna Carta and any remotely civilized society. All material loaned or
provided in exchange for analyses to be done which is covered by modern
agreements (as Jeff alludes to) has a clear paper trail, but there are
the nonsensical cases like tape on the Hasselblad magazines demonstrate
how ludicrous things can become for reasons foreign to science and
domestic to collectors willingness to pay. I take my place behind the
line of those who have already pointed this out.

Moon specimens that were incidental and innocuous gifts of questionable
or no value at the time seem to have taken a special place. But, there
are other exceptions as well. As I peruse the aisles of the gift shop
at KSC I am tempted to buy a Space Shuttle heat tile. Yet NASA has
allegedly gone on record saying that it will not dispose of them by
sale to the public (reason: we could be liable for unintended harm they
might cause). Rumor has it that the Soviet Buran tiles are more
interesting to collect and Russia has no such hang ups over them, so
I'll hold out for one of them. If I had an American one it would not be
satisfying in present company. I couldn't freely share it with my
international friends without risking being thrown in jail for
providing sensitive military secrets to other nations... at least that
is the rumor on how it was for a long time ...

There is a clear demonstration of double standard and a willingness to
invent retroactive laws, which should be prohibited constitutionally,
but the American system separates the judicial and that makes
legislation from the bench a convenient option in cases like this. How
frustrating for Mr. Rosen, the guy who bought the gifted moon rock from
a Honduran official for a large sum of money. The government simply
snatched it from him and it was not because the Hondurans filed a
claim. If he had been compensated for his recovery of the specimen it
would be different in my view. But the way it went down, there is
reason to be wary of the court's freeloading and arbitrary mindset in
these cases. It is quite removed from science and boils down to
politics and setting cruel and unusual precedents at the expense of
citizens for prior shoddy control practices. Mr. Rosen, the owner at
the time of the Moon rock was never charged with any criminal activity
- they just took the rock plaque and left him to brood. If they could
have charged him I sort of think they would have given the zest to make
examples out of people. But they got what they wanted - a precedent of
no-ownership when before there was none to my knowledge.

I would point out that this nonsensical legal gymnastic that seems to
have developed ought to be applied to each and every scientist in the
United States that is on any payroll or grant for a project who
supposedly buys specimens in his free time. How different is such
piggybacking from the microgram residues on a piece of tape out of a
camera? How did Dr. King amass that huge personal collection on many
field trips to places such as, aw, forget it. Not worth going into, it
would be more counterproductive than good to go there.

Best wishes
Doug