[meteorite-list] Moon Dust

From: Jeff Grossman <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:36:55 -0400

[This email was written by me as a private citizen, and does not reflect
any kind of official position by NASA]

If you want to see the loan agreements that are used today, please read:

http://curator.jsc.nasa.gov/lunar/sampreq/LunarAllocHandbook.pdf

Agreements such as the one shown here have long been used at NASA, and
I'm pretty sure most "official" samples in the past have had paperwork
such as this accompanying them. I don't know what kind of variability
of terms there have been in these agreements, but I'm confident that,
whatever they say, they are legally binding on the recipients who sign them.

I don't understand why people would be surprised that material of any
value removed from a federal facility without permission might be
subject to scrutiny. This sounds like theft to me, and doesn't seem to
require any special law pertaining to the specific material. So, I
don't understand the comment about "self-proclaimed laws." Even if
there is no cover-up of the removal or subsequent sale, that does not
necessarily make it legal. I think the legal issue might come down to
whether or not the remover had permission, either expressed or implied.

Jeff