[meteorite-list] Moon Dust

From: Yinan Wang <veomega_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:27:30 -0500

At least the NY Times dug a little further and contacted Slezak:

"The history of the tape and the dust was never much of a mystery,
though. Terry Slezak, who now lives in Boerne, Tex., was a
photographer in charge of processing the film brought back from the
moon landings. When he opened one of the canisters, dust spilled out
and coated his hands.

In a telephone interview Thursday, he said he remembered carefully
cleaning the film magazine with towels and tape to prevent the dust
from scratching the film. He then hung the tape in his darkroom.
Later, presented with a poster board of photographs signed by the
Apollo 11 astronauts, ?I added the little piece of Scotch tape with
the moon dust on it,? he said. ?I thought that would be kind of neat.?

Mr. Slezak said that no one from NASA or law enforcement had ever
questioned him about the tape, even when he sold the poster at an
auction in 2001.

A German collector of space memorabilia bought the poster ? including
the dusty tape, which was about an inch long and was subsequently cut
into smaller pieces and sold.

Mr. Slezak was a bit surprised to hear of the legal hubbub. ?I haven?t
seen or heard tell of this thing for a long time,? he said. "

-Yinan