[meteorite-list] Ready with Meteor Mitts!

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:26:24 -0700 (PDT)

Mitts? Not exactly!
Just going through my emails, and thought I'd look into this a little bit more before my morning coffee.

2011 MD was discovered by LINEAR yesterday. Most of you probably know LINEAR is another NEO survey, run as a joint effort by MIT & the USAF. It's very similar in size though a little bit bigger, to 2008 TC3. It'll pass about 15,000 km (9000 miles) above the earth's surface around 0627 GMT on the 27th.

The record holder is a 1 meter rock discovered back in January, 2011 CQ. It passed only ~ 5000 km (3000 miles) above the surface the day after discovery.

A little more can be found about the object here:http://www.universetoday.com/87035/another-asteroid-to-give-earth-a-close-shave-june-27-2011/

The conversion table I use has this object in the 6 to 15 meter range, not the 9 - 45 meters they cite.

These objects aren't all that rare. about 1000 pass through the volume of space out to the moon's distance each month. Note the media in general has lost interest in these objects too, unless they come a bit closer than usual.

Hope this helps.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography