[meteorite-list] Rogue's gallery of meteorite fossil claims: article invitation

From: Robert Beauford <robertbeauford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:08:13 -0700 (PDT)

Looking at my treasured chunk of Orgueil just now,?I got to wondering how many (and which) meteorites have had past claims of discoveries of fossils of bacteria, and how far back in time such claims go.? Orgueil is one of my favorite meteorite for its classification and scientific importance alone, but I have also really enjoyed the fascinating and almost certainly flawed recent story of its supposed fossils.??It occured to me that this would make a very interesting article if someone were to compile and briefly summarize the history of previous such 'discoveries.'? Though this list will be a historical rouges gallery of the disputed, impossible,?and improbable, I think it would make a fun article that will be of interest to a significant number of collectors.? I can't imagine who would have the expertise to put this one together with relative ease, so I thought I would post the idea as an open invitation on the list.? The subject is way out of
 my area of expertise, but if anyone feels capable of?tackling this bit of scientific history and current news in a sensitive and light hearted?way, I'd love to publish it in Meteorite.
-Robert Beauford, co-editor