[meteorite-list] windowing technique

From: Doug Ross <doug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:45:42 -0700

Hello all,

I've been following this mailing list for some time, but this is my first post. Thanks for all of the good information shared here!

As my meteorite habit grows, I've been experimenting with various home tests and techniques, using UNWA stones. Windowing stones is my latest kick. No power tools here, I'm just roughing them in with a diamond file, then sanding smooth with 100 grit sandpaper, followed by 400 grit to smooth out the scratches, and rubbing on denim to finish the job. Needless to say, my hands are rather sore! ;-) I guess the results are not bad under the circumstances. Here is a stone that I just polished today. I was working with a fairly flat surface to begin with, but it was a tough one....still took me nearly two hours. Pretty stone, I think:

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/rootplayer/UNWAwindow1.jpg
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/rootplayer/UNWAwindow2.jpg
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/rootplayer/UNWAback.jpg

I welcome any suggestions or critiques on this windowing job. It would be nice to achieve a high gloss, polished marble kind of effect. I tried wet sanding on another stone, but that darkened the stone considerably, so now I'm only dry sanding. Power tools would be nice, but I live in a small apartment, and any large power tools would be out of the question. Thanks!

Doug Ross