[meteorite-list] Slate Islands Impact Structure

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 10:54:29 -0400

Hi Phil and List,

This is a general observation about impact structures, and not so much
about Slate Islands - please forgive the topic drift.

I am always impressed with the people finding new craters using
widely-available resources like Google Earth. In my amateur zeal, I
tried looking over the land in a several mile radius around my home in
south central Florida. To my stunned eyes, there were craters every
where I looked. Florida looked like the Moon in some spots. My
excitement only lasted about a nanosecond because each time I could
identify the feature as something more mundane - sinkhole, cattle
pond, retention pond, subsidence depression, etc. Florida is littered
with sinkholes and not all are filled with water.

So, what impresses me when people find these new impact structures is
this - how the heck can one distinguish an impact crater from a
satellite photo? Is there a quick and dirty list of criteria to look
for? I'm not a geologist, nor do I have any formal training, but I do
have a PC and an armchair. ;)

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com