[meteorite-list] Jepara Pallasite

From: Elizabeth Warner <ewarner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 08:15:55 -0400

A quick google search... seems that this was also discussed on a german
list, the gist of it is that it is "in classification"
http://www.jgr-apolda.eu/index.php?topic=6295.0;wap2
and that there is nothing else to be found online about it...

A very *rough* Google translation of the description on the eBay page is:
__________________
Meteorites are rarer than gold in the earth's surface. One can
distinguish stony meteorites, iron meteorites and stoney-iron
meteorites, and of those there are rarest group Pallasites, since they
account for only 1% of all meteorites found and are unique in their
structure of metal and gemstone.
They come from the asteroid belt between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.
In collisions come from this particular material
the transition zone between the mantle and core of the asteroid on
course to earth.
They represent remnants of the primordial matter and, with their 4.6
billion years old are an eyeblink into eternity.

Pallasites are made of iron, some nickel, olivine (peridot) and traces
of other elements, a unique blend.
The first pallasite was found in 1749 near Krasnoyarsk and twenty years
later described by Peter Simon Pallas, a German scientist. In his honor,
the group was named. In 1807 "Brahin" with 850 kg was found in Russia,
in 1882 "Brenham" discovered in the U.S. with 4300kg, and 1951 kg in
Argentina "Esquel" with 755kg.
The latest discovery was in 2000 in China, "Fukang" with about 1000kg.
This is a selection of large and famous Pallasite, officially 84 units
are known, most of them very small.

Now, with a respectable size of 499 kg is the pallasite Jepara,
discovered two years ago in Java, Indonesia.
It is very different in its structure from other known material. Much of
its metal content was changed to magnetite due to its very long stay in
the ground.
It was found as land was being cleared/ flattened for the construction
of a hall for furniture production.

The olivines are very fine and usually with no cracks and are magnetite,
schreibersite(??) and other extra-territorial material embedded as in a
net. Our thanks to Mr Prof. Dr. Falko Langenhorst from the University of
Bayreuth, Chair of the German Mineralogical Society, for his analysis
and publication. In a few days the entry will be seen in the Metbull.

We are happy to show this material may be exclusive.

Clear Skies!
Elizabeth