[meteorite-list] A Meteor impacted the Sun?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 20:52:11 -0600

Maybe if the asteroid was several times the size of Jupiter!

Seriously, there's no evidence that comets or asteroids produce any sort
of eruptions like this. The energies involved in such collisions are
minuscule compared with the eruption energies. And that's assuming any
collision with the photosphere even occurs- most objects would be
expected to melt and evaporate away before reaching that far.

There is a remote possibility that comet impacts might rarely trigger
eruptions through some unexplained, indirect mechanism (the eruptions
themselves are driven by magnetic fields). But don't look for "splashes".

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com