[meteorite-list] Re : Re : Moroccan business meteorite is suffering

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 15:09:21 -1000

This is not entirely true. First of all retail sales from Morocco to the US or European markets do not make sense for most collectors who only look to buy one stone from a particular fall or find. Because Morocco has no paypal or easy method of funds transfer, a buyer must either wire funds from one's bank to the seller's bank or use Western Union - both incur high fees that drive the cost of the single item purchase substantially higher. Add to that the fact that Chronopost is not dependable or secure, meteorites are usually shipped by Fedex or UPS courier service, again at a premium price, which drives the up end cost of the meteorite. Its only viable if buying in bulk quantities.

So, I do not believe direct marketing of meteorites from Moroccan dealers to retail buyers (collectors) are a primary cause of increased prices that we are seeing in the marketplace.

gary