[meteorite-list] Re : Re : Moroccan business meteorite is suffering

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 21:32:21 -0400

I see Bessey specks this way - almost any speck or crumb of a
classified meteorite is not going to hurt science because science
already has the 20/20 type sample. Depending on the size of the type
sample, that can be enough to last indefinitely for study.

For the larger type samples (20g or 40g for a generous main mass
holder like NWA 5000), you can make a ton of thin sections with that
much material. You can also run a lot of destructive analysis with
20-40g of material on deposit.

On the other hand, take NWA 6696 for example. That is my little LL3.6
that was classified at UCLA. The TKW is only 10g and UCLA received 8g
of that. I retained 2g. I traded one 1g slice to a friend. I kept a
1g slice which I still have. I could turn that 1g slice into 100+
Bessey specks and make a tidy sum from the sales, I would never do it
because on the off chance that something unexpected is found in that
meteorite, I want the available material to be of use to science. If
science demanded it, I would gladly surrender my last gram of it.

So, not every specimen I obtain is destined for the saw or hammer. It
depends on the rarity, scientific interest, and historical value (if
any) of the piece.

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galactic-Stone-Ironworks/218849894809686