[meteorite-list] A Meteorite fall site goes under the bulldozer-Hammer Stone! urgent

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 05:40:46 -0500

Hello Marc, Dirk and all,

I agree with you that it's very sad that there may be no more meteorites
found in this area and the developers don't give a damn about it, nor anyone
apparently buying a property there. Maybe if someone builds a swimming pool
they will discover a long buried piece and realize it's not a common rock.
Home prices range from a very small home at an average $300,000.00 USD which
is very common for Orange County to $10 Million dollar homes and ranchettes.

It's not a community that cares about meteorites, being in southern Orange
County, not far from the ocean and just north of San Diego County in
Southern California. They are more focused on building homes than allowing
anyone to search for meteorites, plus they won't take the insurance risk.

Look up real estate prices at www.realtor.com and look under Wikipedia for
general information about the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Juan_Capistrano,_California

San Juan Capistrano is known for its cliff swallows. The protected birds are
reputed to return from migration, traditionally originating in the town of
Goya, Argentina, on St. Joseph's Day (March 19).

The town is in heavily conservative and republican Orange County. They
really don't care at all about meteorites, it's sad to say, but just about
making money. Remember it's called "Orange" county, because it was once full
of orange groves, which have disappeared over the years to build homes.

Politics:
In the state legislature San Juan Capistrano is located in the 38th Senate
District, represented by Republican Mark Wyland, and in the 73rd Assembly
District, represented by Republican Diane Harkey. Federally, San Juan
Capistrano is located in California's 44th and 48th congressional districts,
which have Cook PVIs of R +6 and R +8 respectively[3] and is represented by
Republicans Ken Calvert and John Campbell respectively. As of the 2010
elections, the city council members are: Sam Allevato (Mayor), Laura Freese,
Larry Kramer (Mayor Pro Tem), John Taylor, and Derek Reeve.

This city also has four private, Christian, college prep schools named
Capistrano Valley Christian Schools (Pre-K through 12th grade), Saddleback
Valley Christian School (Pre-K through 12th grade), St. Margaret's Episcopal
School (also Pre-K through 12th grade), and J. Serra Catholic High School
(9th through 12th grade).
The city also has two private kindergarten through eighth grade schools
named Mission Parish School and Rancho Capistrano Christian School. Mission
Parish School is located on the historic Mission grounds, utilizes some of
the historic buildings as classrooms, and is situated next to Mission
Basilica San Juan Capistrano. The other is Rancho Capistrano Christian
School, located off Highway 5 on the Crystal Cathedral's south campus. The
campus at Rancho Capistrano is also host to meetings and conventions, as
well as summer camps.

Hope this gives those of you unfamiliar with Orange County some insight into
why the city and the county aren't interested in meteorites, like we are.

Take care,

Brian

Message: 11