[meteorite-list] Cox's Crater Wrongs

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:03:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sterling, Paul -

Telling Dennis Cox he has a crater wrong and you get the same response as when you tell some people they have a meteor wrong.

When I told Dennis that he needed to study scaling laws over at the Cosmic Tusk, I was treated to a stream of abuse, wherein he claimed that they did not exist, and then later claimed that I had been incapable of applying them before my stroke, as I had no degree in physics.

That was followed by a lecture on airbursts, in which he claimed I did not understand them either.

When I told Dennis that his "features" were not likely they were from the YD event, I got with more of the same.

When I told Dennis that the features he was seeing via Google earth had to be checked out on the ground, he repeatedly called me a liar for stating that Dave Morrison supported Muller's Nemesis Hypothesis (and David naturally encourage him in this - a number of you here know how that goes. Me, I'm still waiting for Morrison to publicly simply state that the Nemesis Hypothesis is wrong.)

And then Dennis compared my work to Velikovsky's, the ultimate insult.
Cox does not realize that Velikovsky was simply an E.P. wannabe.

Dennis clearly does not understand the difference that the Earth's atmosphere makes in impact processes.

I tried to point Dennis towards the upcoming Meteor Crater field school, but it appears that he would rather continue to vent his frustrations.

Paul, Sterling, keep it up.

:P)
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas