[meteorite-list] Tunguska (not)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 19:48:49 -0400

Hi Doug,

I think you are too generous in your numbers. The number of fakes on
eBay is probably closer to 15% or more, if you include all of the
carved/molded "tektite" or "meteorite" figurines coming out of the far
east. All of those little Buddhas, Tibetan knives, etc, are all
fakes. And don't forget the bogus "apple green" Moldavite pieces
being offered. I'd bet 20% of the Moldavite on eBay is fake.

Buyer beware.

For those who want to do their homework before they start bidding, see
these sites :

http://meteorite-identification.com/index.htm

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs.htm

http://meteorites.asu.edu/meteorite-facts/have-a-meteorite

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2009/jul09.htm

http://meteorites.pdx.edu/meteor_wrong.htm

An hour or two spent reading these websites would prevent 90% of the
ripoffs on eBay and elsewhere.

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com