[meteorite-list] term definitions and usage

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:10:49 -0500

A number of Chinese numeral systems are explained in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerals
from the Shang Dynasty to the present day, some of
them quite fascinating. The Japanese numerals in
writing are entirely based on the Chinese numerals
and the grouping of large numbers follow the Chinese
tradition of grouping by 10,000.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_numerals
The 10,000 unit base was also used by the ancient
Greeks. The Greek term survives in English today:
MYRIADS. The Romans of course followed suit. One
interesting consequence of the 10^4 system is the
ability to do quite complex calculations verbally.
This is referred to in the piece on Chinese numerals
and Herodotus' Histories contain many examples
of his calculating "out loud."

Sterling K. Webb