[meteorite-list] Rainbow Fusion crust

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:33:09 +0200

Rainbow effect on minerals, oil on water, soap bubbles and other
examples comes from an optical effect in thin layers.

When light is reflected on a surface like a mirror it is reflected
equally in every wavelength and you don't get any effect. But if there
is a thin layer that some of the light is reflected from then you get
interference. If the extra distance travelled is equal to one or more
full wavelength of a colour then you get constructive interference and
that colour is enhanced. But if the distance travelled is equal to a
half plus zero or more full wavelength then you get destructive
interference and that colour is dampened.
The best example is a drop of oil on water where you could watch the
colours change while the oil layer gets thinner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_interference

My guess is that the colour seen on these meteorites comes from a thin
oxidation layer or maybe from oil from the hands that handled the
meteorite. Anyhow, you need a quite glossy surface to get that effect so
it is a really fresh meteorite.

Nice pictures!

/G?ran