[meteorite-list] Photos of Holbrook Anniversary Hunt & Finds

From: Erik Fisler <phxerik_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:04:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,

It was a pleasure to watch so many hunters make so many finds at Holbrook for
the group hunt! I was very happy to be asked to help guide hunters for the
group hunt. I spent 5+ hours of my 19 hours in the field over
Friday/Saturday/Sunday instructing hunters on where to hunt and what to look for
and I can say it was awesome watching them grin when I verified their finds.
Kudos to Jim and Ruben for doing most of the behind the scenes organizing for
the hunt. There is a lot of patience involved with juggling 50 people and those
who really listened walked away with the knowledge to find something that day or
in the future.

My finds from Friday and through the morning Saturday consisted of 3
individuals, 2 fragments and a piece that was just fusion crust all for a total
of less than 2 grams and my father was kicking my butt!! After spending most of
my morning driving back and forth from the hotel room to the strewn field and
guiding hunters I decided to pick up my father and the small group he had taken
on a hunt. He asked me where I wanted to hunt and I told him I had seen Moni
and Bob moving towards a flat in the middle of the north side and I wanted to
beat them too it so we headed to the spot I had my eye on with the family he was
guiding and began to search. That's when I found a few fragments with in a few
centimeters from each other stuck in the clay on the surface. I had my dad
drive the truck over so I could bring out the shovel and sieve, (as we had plaid
the fragment game before....). A few people surrounded as I slowly and
carefully broke up the clay into the sieve. I had about fifty grams in
fragments when my shovel clinked against a much bigger piece in the ground and
everyone froze with excitement. That's when I pulled out the 240 gram
piece!!!!!!!! It took about an hour and a half to recover the 160 grams in
fragments and the 240 gram stone for a total of a 400 gram find. As far Holbrook
goes, besides Larry's whopper, I haven't heard of that big of a find in the last
few decades. Ontop of that Richard had another mongo find of 47 grams which is
extremely rare for Holbrook in 2011. Together we have over 500 Holbrooks with a
90% of them individuals, average size 1-2 grams and before that point my biggest
was 23 grams and my father had found one around 30+ grams. It amazes me that
there was a 400g find and a 47g find along with soooo many other stones all
found in the same day, regardless if there were fifty hunters or 1000 hunters.

Anywho... here is a link to the photos. I uploaded them to my new Google+
account which is linked to Picasa. For those of you who don't know, Google+ is
a networking site by Google that is still under testing and is only available to
those invited by people who are testing it, for now anyway. So if anyone wants
to try Google+ shoot me an email and I'll shoot you an invite. Also since this
is my first time using it to host an album it would be great if I got some
reviews on how easy/difficult and how good/bad it is to decide if I'll use it
again.

Photos:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104550188270087713656/albums/5630939129597014113

Thanks!