[meteorite-list] Lorton rooftop

From: Michael Farmer <mike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:31:42 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff

I am not trying to cause a dispute, but the fact is that the roofers patched the hole by putting shingles over it, pretty lame repair considering the first hail storm would punture through the thin layer of shingles. Robert did speak to them, and they actually repaired the hole right, by cutting out the puncture hole and replacing the entire wood panel which is permanant.
Had he not done that, only some crappy shingles instead of the entire meteorite hole would have been preserved. However once the landowners (who did not give a crap at the time) heard that it would be worth money, they threatened a lawsuit, and Robert FEDEXed the parts back. Robert planned to give the hole to whoever ended up with the meteorite, and he wanted to take it to the Smithsonian where it could be displayed with the meteorite. A roof hole is of little interest without the meteorite. Sadly it is now sitting in a box in the closet, or in the trash where it was destined for from the start. Another fine piece of meteorite history lost or destroyed, otherwise worthless without the meteorite.
Doing the right thing often backfires. I would have loved to see the meteorite on display with the roof hole intact.
Sad situation all around.
Michael Farmer