[meteorite-list] Does Asteroid Vesta Have a Moon?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 03:11:51 -0400

Hi Sterling, List,

When you talk about very energetic events to change asteroid orbits,
just keep in mind that while the energies may be great, a number of
factors complicate the bridging of the Vestoids, such as collisions
(and we can imagine a vast amount of rubble near the order of magnitude
of 2,500,000,000,000,000,000 kg;

Then, imagine that Vesta itself is not in the precise orbit now as it
was billions of years ago. The Kirkwood gap we are discussing is 2.45
- 2.5 AU. Vesta actually does get out that far with its current
eccentricity of orbit just not its semi-major axis which is what counts
to get the resonance; eccentricities and inclinations can and
undoubtably have evolved;

Models of maintaining the integrity of Vesta itself as is apparently
observed have been made ejecting 1000 meter chunks with velocities of
600 m/s and lower. I forgot if that includes the escape velocity or
not. But I am putting this number here just to observe that of the
dozens of supposedly V-class asteroids in the 3 to 11 km diameter
range, that would be the ball park of the constraints on velocity and
still have an intact Vesta to look at.

That there are a great deal more V-class asteroids swarming closer to
Vesta's orbit than the bridging Vestoids to the Kirkwood gap, most of
which are outliers. Most of the regular ones have a narrow range of
relative velocities.

This all is consistent with the idea IMO, that we are just looking at
enough material to go around from the ejection event, that the question
isn't whether, but rather how much, of the material has been subjected
to "events" since there is so much of it it becomes statistical. How
may other craters are that big. Granted there are denuded metal
asteroids, and such is nature ... confusing to the mind of an
Earthling. The recent CRE exposure ages of a large portion of the HED
meteorites are new relative to the proposed original impact, however
many generations removed ... it makes one wonder if it rained Vestan
meteorites at other periods of Earth's history assuming HEDs parent is
Vesta. It seems to temporal-centric to think the last 50 million years
is so special.

After such a collision that cause the massive crater on Vesta, I can
imagine all sorts of scenarios: like a ringed asteroid, dust clouds,
and to a lesser extent boulder moons. But time may just have erased
this. Did Saturn have rings a billion years ago? We'll have to wait
to see if the surface of Vesta has a good crater record and some visual
clues to their eras, and then pull out the millimeter rules and go to
town. The wait hopefully is not long now ;-)

Best wishes
Doug

PS Sorry about my last email being a wall of text, there is a problem
with my email that deletes all carriage returns and this mail is a test
to see if it is working now, with a additional comments to the
discussion -