[meteorite-list] (meteorobs) Green Fireballs

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:47:17 EST

In years past, I'd see a fair number of green meteors...mostly with the
bright one's. Once I went thru my records and noted the colors. I believe I
recorded more greens with the Geminids than any other shower.
GeoZay

In a message dated 1/27/2011 6:42:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
epmajden at shaw.ca writes:
>>I have been following this discussion about so called "Green
Fireballs". This is nothing unusual. Mg I in the green region of the
spectrum is a major contributer along with other lines in this
region. The eye is also very sensitive to the green region. I really
don;t think "green fireballs" are unusual as far as I know. Green can
be also strong if fast fireballs >40 km/sec and the contributer here
could be the forbidden line of Oxygen at 557.7 n.m. I have checked
with Bob Lunsford from the AMS and Dr. Jiri Borovicka, meteor
scientist, at Ondrejov. Both agree with my comments. Jiri's comment
is noted below.>>