[meteorite-list] Legalities of streaming video

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 17:02:57 -0800

Hi All,
        Someone kindly contacted me off list expressing concerns for
possible legal implications of accepting bids on line. This was my
response:
--
    This has occurred to me. However, I will allow NO "video bids" -per se;
people will have to have a friend present on the phone to bid for them.
Period. The person bidding "for them" will be completely responsible for the
bid and I will make that plain.
        However, if someone has "put in" an absentee bid and wants to have
Someone on the phone "bid for them" I will be OK with that, too and simply
Record the winning bidder as the absentee bidder. However, I will be giving
A bidding number to all absentee bidders and if they want a "live bidder"
Bidding for them via the phone, that live bidder MUST give the absentee
Bidder's number if they win the bid. Otherwise, they will have to pay for
The lot as though it were their own. Likewise, the "live bidder" may pick
Up said lot and save the absentee bidder shipping costs if that is their
Arrangement. However, to protect the sellers, no item will leave without
Payment being made.
        Neither I nor  my staff will take bids other than from the floor
For absentee bidders.
        Hope I have made this clear....
        Thanks, Michael