[meteorite-list] What's with these weird Campos?

From: Bob King <nightsky55_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:18:07 -0600

Thanks everyone for all your replies. OK, so they appear to be blown
up Campos. If true, they must have looked a lot more like shrapnel
with sharp edges. It makes sense then, as Bob C. reported, that
they're tumbled. If water's used in the tumbling process, I'm guessing
these things will rust up quickly.
Bob

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Meteorites USA <eric at meteoritesusa.com> wrote:
> Yeah, ?I wonder if anyone's ever etched a Campo crystal before?
>
> Eric
>

> On 1/19/2011 6:48 PM, Michael Gilmer wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> AFAIK, these are made by taking a low-grade ruster or "dog" and
>> freezing it in liquid nitrogen. ?Then frozen meteorite is then
>> shattered and it fragments along the crystal-plane boundaries of the
>> taenite and kamacite - the result is these "crystals" with a polished
>> appearance.
>>
>> This process works best with coarse octahedrites of lower value like
>> Campo and Nantan.
>>
>> Some people like them, some people don't. ?I think they are a neat way
>> to "upcycle" a lower grade piece into something more marketable, but
>> they are also a bit misleading because newbies may tend to think iron
>> meteorites naturally look that way.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> MikeG

>> Mike Gilmer - Galactic Stone& ?Ironworks Meteorites
>>
>> Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
>> Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/galacticstone
>> News Feed - http://www.galactic-stone.com/rss/126516
>> Twitter - http://twitter.com/galacticstone
>> Meteorite Top List - http://meteorite.gotop100.com
>> EOM - http://www.encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com/collection.aspx?id=1564
>>
>> On 1/19/11, Bob King<nightsky55 at gmail.com> ?wrote:
>>

>>> Hi everyone,
>>> This has been bugging me a while, but I've noticed lots of smaller
>>> Campo del Cielos on eBay recently that look like very melted
>>> Sikhote-Alins. Does anyone know what's going on with these? Is someone
>>> blowing up Campos and melting down the pieces. Here's an example:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/4nuvhwn
>>> Thanks!
>>> Bob