[meteorite-list] Speaking of Weston...

From: Mark Grossman <markig_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 02:01:23 -0500

Hi Mike,

I just ordered my copy online, so it will take me a few days to get the
book.

But Franklin was a real scientist - a respected one at that in Europe. So
I'll have to see what the book says for myself.

Regarding Woodhouse, Silliman seems to have had a bad relationship with him
and would not show him his manuscript on the Weston meteorite when he went
to visit Woodhouse in Philadelphia. It should also be pointed out that
Woodhouse was Silliman's chemistry teacher, and died soon after the Weston
meteorite literature was published, so he didn't really get a chance to
discuss it. But he did conduct an analysis of the Weston stone, perhaps
before Silliman - I am in the process of obtaining the original papers. The
question is how good the analyses were.

So, you have the advantage on me since you have the book! :-) I'll have to
take a wait and see attitude until I have a chance to read it.

But anyone who says that the Weston meteorite was the birth of American
science in light of the accomplishments of Franklin and Woodhouse, is going
to get strange looks from me without providing a pretty good explanation!
As noted in Burke, both Silliman and Woodhouse were familiar with foreign
chemical analyses, and knew that they should be looking for nickel.

It's more likely that Silliman's real contribution to American science was
the establishment of the American Journal of Science in 1818, and not the
analysis of the Weston meteorite. Sounds like an exaggerated title for the
book.

Then again, my impressions have been made from the book reviews, and not the
book, so we'll see!

Thanks for you initial thoughts, Mike!

Mark