[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101-Bolide

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:56:15 -0800 (PST)

We differ some Mark, in that a bolide is not just a fireball showing
framentation-- such as we saw in the Peekskill fireball. IMO, historically and
by traditional use: a bolide is not just a simple fragmentation but an explosive
rupture which occurs at the practical end of incandescent flight--Like an upside
down bottle rocket. Perhaps, it is somewhat subjective, and while it may occur
out of ear shod, the explosive expansion part has a distinct sound/report
different from a sonic boom. The term was adapted possibly from a discussion of
military rocketry into early descriptions of meteor fireballs which exploded.

Perhaps it is just me but I subscribe to these characteristics of a bolide
because it describes a specific combination of conditions. The audible report
component is most always associated with the early literature accounts
describing a fireball as a bolide. In my bolide theory I believe there is an
envelope of stress/shear as the meteoroid is undergoing, being dramatically
slowed by the atmosphere. If the envelope is not violated the meator may
fragment but it does not do so explosively. Around 5 miles above sea level the
meteoroid encounters the boundary of that momentum /shear envelope which
reflects maximum aerodynamic pressure at which the meteoroid can retain
integrity. This transition is so abrupt for the meteoroid, that it literally
shears along molecular bonds releasing a fair amount of heat and possibly rapid
oxidation of iron particles, etc.

Elton