[meteorite-list] Shatter Cone

From: Larry Atkins <thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:00:42 -0500

Hello List,

It's nearly unanimous, the shatter cone would appear to be exactly
that. I had correspondence with a glacier expert from Univ. of Toronto,
Canada, and he said that I am exactly in line with the direction of
glacial flow from the Sudbury region and it's no surprise that one
could be found here. The specimen matches
visually,
enough I
guess that I can't get an official analyses done, they just have to
look at it and know. It's either from Sudbury
or Wanapitei, which is directly adjacent to Sudbury.

  During my small investigation I think I solved another mystery as
well. I have a rock that I thought was possibly a meteorite but it
turns out it might be Black Onaping, also from the Sudbury impact !
Iguess
I'm in a far flung zone of Sudbury material. The possible onaping I
found in a
gravel pit. I should probably investigate more of the many gravel pits
in the area. I do wonder about the metal in the Onaping. Typically, is
there metal in Onaping? The specimen is only lightly attracted to a
magnet and it is the tiny metal pieces that are the source of the
attraction. Really neat stuff!

http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/alienrockfarm/Possible%20Black%20Onaping%20Impact%20Breccia%20Sudbury/

Someone emailed me and said that if the shatter cone was authentic, it
is the farthest one ever found from Sudbury. The distance is about 268
miles as the impactite flies

Sincerely,
Larry Atkins

IMCA # 1941