[meteorite-list] AD(?) - Sikhote-Alin in tree

From: Dolores Hill <dhill_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:54:21 -0700

Dear meteorite-list,

I cannot resist commenting on this issue. I have studied
dendrochronology and I am very familiar with the UA Tree-Ring Lab
(LTRR). It is much more complicated than one might realize. In
addition to "number of tree-rings/years," the growth _/pattern/_ is
extremely important in cross-dating a tree sample according to a
particular regional "chronology." Depending on the species and/or
environmental conditions, there may even be "missing rings or double
rings." The number of rings also depends on when the tree first started
growing and when it died (naturally or was cut down) or was sampled by
increment core.

I have seen fascinating photos of supposed Sikhote-Alin meteorites stuck
in trees and invited the owners to allow LTRR experts to examine them.
So far the owners seem to get cold feet. LTRR has scientists and
visiting researchers who have first-hand experience with Russian trees
and forests. They are happy to provide assistance:
http://ltrr.arizona.edu/ If authentic, the samples might aid
studies of biological effects of meteorite impacts. It would be best if
the original location of the tree is known; another case for careful
documentation.

Regards,
Dolores Hill
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory