[meteorite-list] AD(?) - Sikhote-Alin in tree

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 22:35:15 -0500

Hi,

While I am not challenging the integrity of Anne's specimen, there is something I should share: about a decade ago I was informed by an unimpeachable source as to the existence of what is basically a nursery outside of Vladivostok where SAs have been wedged into the knots and the forked limbs of a rapidly growing specie of tree for later "harvest." I was informed that branches are frequently bound around the meteorite to assist in the embedment. I saw one such example and it was...impressive.

Little scary, right?

In an effort that provides a faster turnaround, I was recently informed lightning rods are being inserted into strategic locations in Saharan sands in the effort to produce and harvest flared saharite---the beautifully flanged Saharan fulgurites.

Certainly less scary as there is no effort to deceive. Clever, actually---and yet bothersome as well.

d,