[meteorite-list] Retail & Auction Price Guides

From: mail at mhmeteorites.com <mail_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:45:39 +0000

Hi Richard
I believe that price guides, at least with collectibles, give a false sense of market value. Believe me I would love to get 20/g out of my 350g Homestead, but because there are so many factors that determine a meteorites value (maybe many more factors than any collectible), I know that 20/g will not be paid for such a piece by the small collector pool that exists. Yet 20/g for Homestead, in small slices, is attainable. Any guide would need to distinguish pricing based on a number of factors that you already pointed out. This would be nearly impossible for a beginning collector to comprehend.

Kevin's book on collecting meteorites is a great intro for the beginning collector. A price guide would muddy the waters IMO. Rely on your own searches to figure out pricing, and as you know, the knowledge will come from that search.

500/g lunar? I have some. :)

Best wishes,
Matt
Matt Morgan