[meteorite-list] Tucson Auction

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:54:34 -0500

Hi,

Thanks for the props, Kevin, but the story of your Zagami acquisition was...a touch too colorful. With only one exception, I was the consignor of every meteorite in the first three Phillips Auctions---including the Zagami specimen which you've described as being consigned by Bob Haag.

I suppose my taking pride in having introduced meteorites in the traditional auction environment is part of my problem---I'm probably oversensitive as it regards this topic. Actually---strike the "probably" ;-) But I would like to take a moment to share a few of the things I've learned in my years of doing this.

Cribbing from a private email I sent to a fellow list member earlier today....

The nature of Michael's auctions skew to lower results. Why? First, there is no constraint on the number of lots...and there are too many similar lots to create a more competitive auction environment....there is no strategic sequencing of lots, the quality of the imaging of the specimens is uneven...and I could go on. The bottom line is that when I've assembled the meteorite sections at various auction houses, I was concerned about such issues---and it's of benefit to buyers/collectors that Michael chooses not to be.

As Geoff described earlier, Michael's auctions have their own special vibe....their own flavor...and that's what makes them unique (and as a supportive member of the meteorite community, I will continue to consign to Michael's auctions). At the same time I believe that information---to be useful and valid---benefits greatly from "context" to help clarify messages as....information or misinformation. In this instance, even if we completely forget the aforementioned deviations from the auctioneering norm, Michael's auction occurs at a wholesale marketplace loaded with similar merchandise---and so of course the results will necessarily be skewed. To my mind the issue then becomes, is this information worth sharing or clarifying?

Simultaneously, I totally hear the criticism of appearing to advocate the withholding of information---and I'm troubled by that perception. For me this kind of evokes the debate whether WikiLeaks should publish all the memos---but as there are no sensitive diplomatic issues before us, I'm now convinced...

....post the results. ;-)