[meteorite-list] Tucson Auction

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:07:19 -0500

The problem that I see with publicly posting the auction results so anyone
can easily find them with a Bing search is that the cat will get out of the
bag. People will see the incredible bargains and will attend the auction in
droves or bid remotely to drive the prices way up. The auction results are
like insider information. When the general public finds out about it, prices
could go sky high. Of course this is great for the sellers, for buyers, not
so much.

The Shipshewana Auctions here in Indiana come to mind. Back in the 70's this
was an exclusive event. Nobody there except Amish, Mennonites and Old German
Baptists along with local English farmers and a handful of antique dealers.
It was a locals only thing. There were incredible bargains to be had. You
could make your living off buying low and reselling high. Then word hit the
streets and the auctions were touristized. Go there now and you can't get a
bid in edgewise for all the crowds of Chicago auction buffs and tourists
wearing bermuda shorts with black socks.

If I were a man of means with piles of jack laying around, I would have
bought every single item at the Tucson Auction and trickled the stock out at
triple the price over the years. You would be paying $120 for the termite if
you bought it from me!

That being said, the truth will eventually get out just like Wikileaks.
Build the stadium and they will come.