[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Landowners

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 23:08:51 GMT

My final rant on the subject:

Happy Canyon Meteorite today:
4.4 grams= $225 _at_ $50 per/gm
http://www.meteoritelab.com/estore/?findid=68&c=Meteorite

Price I paid in 1974 from Huss and Nininger
.60 cents per/gm. I got 24 grams at that price, $14.40 cents.

83 fold increase since 1974

Kenna Meteorite today:
9.65 grams=1,690 at ~$175 per/gm
http://www.schoolersinc.com/meteorites_p_9c.htm

Price I paid from Nininger and Hus sometime in the late 1970?s
$1 per/gm. 15.5 grams $15.50 cents.

109 fold increase since the 1970?s

COOLIDGE, Kansas today:
A rare rare C3.8:
12.1 grams=$1,900.00 ~$157 per/gm
http://www.nyrockman.com/catalog.htm

Price I paid in 1971 for a 8.1 gram piece from Nininger and Huss was $2 or about ~.25 cents per/gm.

A 628 fold increase since my 1971 price.

Bruderhiem Meteorite today:

4.8 grams=$480 at $100 per/gm
http://www.meteoriteguy.com/catalog/bruderheim.htm

Price I paid for a fully crusted 130 gram individual from the same institution in 1973
$30 or 23 cents per gram

423 fold increase since my 1973 price that I paid then.

And of course this one Murchison that arrived at my door in Jan of 1970. 160 grams if I remember right as it is sitting in a safe deposit box
 a beautiful half crusted stone that I got from one in Australia, who actually saw it fall and picked it up moments after.

$50 ! about 30 cents per gram

Today
 about $100 per/gm.

At today?s price $16,000+

A 320 fold increase over my 1970 price.

Oh, I forgot another

A nice piece of Pasamonte
 $2 per/gram in 1971. I still have it, about 2.6 grams with the Nininger?s hand written number in India ink on white paint; a very nice fusion crusted fragment. $5.20 cents.

Try to find that at virtually any price today.

And I have many others I could mention, such as a crusted 22.5 gram half slide of Cumberland Falls that I got in 1980 for $2 per/gm. (I thought it high high price then). And that .87 gram fusion crusted piece of Lafayette Indiana that I have
 $2 bucks a gram for that one too, when few believed it came from Mars. And today that tiny .87 gram piece is worth
 Go figure.

Do the math, the percentage increase for these meteorites. Compare it to the devaluation of today?s dollar against that of the 1960?s,?70?s and now
  These meteorites compared to the devaluation of today?s dollars seem to be a very good investment for sure. But I never looked at them as ?investments? just things from space, a curiosity, a piece of ?space? that I could hold in my hand and imagine

Boy oh boy, those were the ?good old days? as I remember them when it was fairly easy to get meteorites, ALL meteorites at rock bottom values
 Pennies for small pieces in the early 60?s. Those days when meteorites were sold for $10 or less per/lb; it was not that hard for the average person to amass a fantastic collection.

Bob Haag did really well when he jumped in when he did. I could have done it too, as I had been collecting small pieces since I was in grade school in the 1960?s. It was and still is a hobby for me
 But I did not see ?the light? as Bob did. Some that knew I was collecting meteorites long before Bob Haag even got interested in them asked me, "Why did you not become a millionaire like Haag?

Why? A hobby for me, and I don't have Bob's "Midas Touch" when it comes to sales and selling. I am happy where I was then and now.

Ah, but Bob Haag gave us a some of the ?good old days? too.

He sold me a batch of Neuvo Mecurio soon after it fell for the then astounding price of a buck a gram. At the time it was a good deal
  And Mike Farmer has brought the flavor of the ?good old days? from time to time.

When Bob brought in a big batch of Millbillillie meteorites about 1990 or ?91, he was selling them at $2.50 to $3.00 per/gm. BOY! That was an ?old time? deal! Look at the price of that meteorite now. I bought a bunch of them for sure, cherry picked out some nice full crusted ones, and right out of the pile that produced that moon rock he found. (I wish I had seen it first, LOL). Then after that, all hell broke out in Australia as the landowners lost workers for their crops, and the workers were out instead finding meteorites. And later batches of stones that came out were nicked or cut to see if they were lunars.

Then the Australian laws kicked in. Virtually impossible to obtain meteorites from that country now.

Laws are the real problem, and when Nations, landowners, and finders get the legal itch
 does not take to much thought to see where it is going and has gone.

For me, I remember my ?good old days? fondly. It was much easier to obtain meteorites then with my hard earned wages than it is today

But the ?good old days? I am sure will come for this generation, the next and others after.

Today, I am disabled, having suffered a major affliction and brain operation. In fact I got out of the hospital near eight years ago to this very day. Home bound, and after much learning, I make meteorite petrographic slides. It keeps my lifelong interest in meteorites and me alive.

Much of my collection is gone now, and the fantastic things that I have kept I will most likely catalog and sell or auction off.

I will keep some of the meteorites that were given to me by others as gifts or have special sentimental value. These will go to my daughter when the time comes.

I could cut the bulk of my collection up for slides, but that would pain me to do so.

I just have to find the time to sit down and catalog it all.

Must let go of material things to be free

All my rant written
 My mind expended

Time leave now, before my wife (and boss) hounds me with the words:

 ?Get off that stupid computer and get to work!?

Steve Schoner
IMCA 4470
http://www.petroslides.com