[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Landowners

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 03:53:56 GMT

Martin,

Yes the good old days are to me still the "good old days." The most I ever paid per gram of a meteorite was Kenna. $1 per/gm. Then Eagle 60 cents per/gram. And a bottle of fresh Hobrooks, 130 grams picked up right after they fell by a Holbrook resident in July of 1912. And at the Nininger suggested price of 50 cents per/gram I bought the whole bottle with the person's statement written on a piece of paper stating that she saw it fall. And a big piece of Happy Canyon achondrite for 60 cents per gram.

Oh did I forget... I got a 130 gram completely crusted fresh Bruderhiem from Canada in 1973 for $30 including postage. But considering inflation of dollars from 1973 to today it would be maybe 20 times $30 so that would translate to about $600 in today's value.

But then again, I can't imagine that my $30 actually had the purchasing power of $600 today.

Accounting for inflation, even $30 was a heck of good price back in 1973. And it did not hurt me as much as paying out $600 would today.

What would a complete 100% fusion crusted 130 gram Bruderhiem go for today?

I know certainly more than $600

I made $100 per/week in '73 as a college student, so it represented about one third week's pay.

There are no doubt as you and other have pointed out exceptions in today's pricing versus the "good old days."

But in my lifetime, after 1980 things that happened changed in prices.

But not only prices, but LAWS, TOO!

And it is the laws that will certainly put impact the meteorite market.

Just like anything that the LAW gets involved in, if it becomes illegal or restricted... Expect the prices to rise.

So that said for each generation there will always be the "good old days."

But then again... Who knows, there could be another downturn in the world's economy, and for for some of us the "good old days" will return.

As for landowners... An agreement is an agreement. It would be nice if it was just a verbal handshake as it was for the most part in the "good old days"

But now you have to have lawyers involved.

Steve Schoner
www.petroslides.com
IMCA 4470

[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Lando wners
Martin Altmann altmann at meteorite-martin.de
Mon Feb 21 21:10:15 EST 2011