[meteorite-list] A Survey for Collectors

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:42:20 -0500

Hi Kevin,

I'll take a stab at a couple of these -

#2 - the buyer. Meteorites are unregulated and there is no widely
accepted valuation system in place like there is with other rare
materials. So a meteorite is worth what someone will pay for it.
Secondarily, from a dealer's perspective, it depends on how long you
can afford to sit on a specimen that is being offered for sale. If
one is in no hurry to sell, the sky is the limit when it comes to
asking price. Eventually, someone will come along and buy it, and
thus that meteorite is worth the price to the buyer. It doesn't mean
the "market value" of that specimen is whatever price is paid, but
without any official methodology to valuate meteorites, the buyer is
setting the "value".

#3 - Tatahouine. I am always surprised at how cheap this gorgeous,
unique, and important meteorite is. I see people charging (and
paying) a hundred dollars a gram for ordinary chondrites that fell in
the USA, but here is a witnessed fall Vestan of distinctive beauty,
and one can buy it for less than $10/g.

Best regards and good luck on the article,

MikeG

--
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Meteorite Top List - http://meteorite.gotop100.com