[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Landowners

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:30:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi Carl and List Members,

It seems inevitable that future fraud will take place if the sale of this
olivine were ever to take hold but I feel the market for such gemstones is very
thin so trust and provenance will be everything . Gemologists are not yet
trained on extraterrestrial gemstones because there is virtually no market for
them. The diamond industry has spent billions developing a market. Diamonds
have attributes like hardness and refractive qualities that lend themselves
nicely to jewelry making although they are far from being rare.

Try giving a woman space olivine in an engagement ring. The odds are you won't
be getting married or be reduced to eating TV dinners the rest of your life.
This is because excellent marketing over a long period of time has made diamonds
king. Olivine doesn't stand a chance and it is ridiculous to try and position it
in the price range of diamonds.

Dissolving pallasites to get at the olivine seems like a bad idea to me but what
do I know? I am certainly no expert on marketing jewelry. It would be difficult
to say the least to market both meteorites and jewelry. It is like trying to be
a Jack of all trades and an expert at none. I feel it would take too much effort
and produce very little for the landowners which is my main issue. They have to
be kept happy in order for future searches to take place. I do not want to be
remembered as the generation that destroyed all of it.

Best Regards,

Adam