[meteorite-list] ... THERE IS A NEW CHONDRITE TYPE....

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:31:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi Shawn,
thanks for pointing this out.

I've only had a few minutes to skim through the special edition on Almahata Sitta but I am just finishing the process of printing out all of the articles and papers on these meteorites.

AS certainly is an interesting fall. Besides the new type of chondritic material, that fall contained H5, L4, EH3, EH4/5, EH5, EH6, EL3/4, EL5/6 & EL6 material along with the bulk ureilitic mass.

For those who haven't gotten a chance to see the online issue, a few more of the titles of the papers in the special edition:

"Asteroid 2008 TC3?Almahata Sitta: A spectacular breccia containing many
different ureilitic and chondritic lithologies"

"Extraterrestrial amino acids in the Almahata Sitta meteorite"

"Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in asteroid 2008 TC3 Dispersion of organic compounds inside asteroids"

I'm looking forward to when I can find a few hours to hunker down and start pouring through all of the papers. I have to chuckle a bit when I think back to early 2009 when there were a few murmurs about some researchers how were happy about the event, but not overly pleased that AS was an ureilite. They would have preferred an OCs instead of a rare type. These grumbles faded pretty quickly.

As for the original thread, someone with the means to do so could build an entire type set of AS all by itself.

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography