[meteorite-list] Italian bolide 8FEB2011

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:05:50 -0800

Hi Matteo/List,

Most if not all of it definitely ended up in the sea. Based on
triangulation
of multiple cameras, Italian astronomers have computed a terminal burst
altitude of 30.3 +/- 1.2 km. So mainland Italy is out. However,
yesterday
I was amused to discover that when I combine the terminal burst altitude
information with my estimate of the terminal burst azimuth, it ends up
right over the only spit of land within a 20-mile radius: tiny Isola di
Gorgona (area less than 1 square mile). Of course, meteorites aren't
necessarily found directly under the terminal burst location -- there is
still forward momentum of the fragments, plus wind drift. But at this
point it's not impossible that some fragments might have ended up on
that island, which would be an incredible stroke of luck.

Note that I've renamed the thread to Italian bolide from superbolide;
the
magnitude (-10.9 +/- 1.1) was far below the threshold for a superbolide.

--Rob