[meteorite-list] Adios Tucson

From: bmoore <bmoore_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 14:23:57 -0700

This was my first trip to Tucson, Meteorite Central, and what a thrill it
was.

Who do I run into first? In shorts and no socks, yet it was about 32F, but
the Big Kahuna (Gary Fujihara) himself.
Must have lava flowing in those veins, Gary has a big spirit and you feel it
when he lights up a room or even a sidewalk.
Don't let that wild and crazy exterior fool you he is a 'Big Head' and
extremely knowledgeable about meteorites and their value.

It was great to see the luminaries who light up the constellations of
meteorites, Ann Black, Geoff N, Steve A and the self effacing
(not) Oregonians, Edwin Thompson (ET) and Patrick Thompson. It was also
nice to meet some quieter (more like Canadians) but exceeding knowledgeable
people like Jim 'Bones' Shorten and others.

This is the one place where you can have a beer with some Swede's (the
Davidssons), Northern Africans (Mohamed et.al.), and some Russians (Serge,
Dimas et. al.) all at the same table.
I'm not sure what language was spoken, sounded to me like Klingon or maybe
Esperanto.

The international aspect was great with Alain Caron who's shop I stumbled
upon while in Paris years ago and Erich Haiderer and his overflowing room
and courtyard of stuff.
Oh for a seemingly quiet guy don't get Erich started about his harrowing
meteorite expeditions, Africa, Norway etc. I'm sure he could write a book,
maybe
he should, giant radioactive spiders, etc.

I've enjoyed the relative heat of Tucson Az compared to Alberta Canada.
Relative to Alberta even when Tucson just experienced its lowest
temperatures on record. So cold in fact that several of the Kit Peak
telescopes are out of commission. Hopefully the Mount Lemmon scopes Richard
Kowalski uses fared better so he can find more asteroids cum meteorites for
us to find. It was great to have him there at the awards night for the much
deserved Harvey award.

Chao, back to Burrry Alberta

-Brian Moore