[meteorite-list] Interesting Night

From: Jim Wooddell <nf114ec_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:01:56 -0700

John and all,

Thanks for the kind words, Wendy and I very much enjoyed being there helping
to make this happen. A lot of folks seemed to enjoy meeting Hershey
(another meteorite dog that thinks she's a cat) as well, so that was good
too! Speaking of cats, I do have a meteorite cat! If I leave a meteorite
sitting on the table, within 15 minutes she will snatch it and carry if off.
I bought a nice little enstatite at the show and it was not on the table for
more than 10 minutes when I got home and now it's gone!

Won't be the first time I've had to grid search the inside of my house!

We really did try to get Geoff to tell us his age and.... well.... he would
not give it up!!

Hats off to Gary and Keith...they were both taking pictures like crazy and
as you folks have seen, some really great photos. I think at one time I saw
Gary crawling though tables to get that one of a kind shot!

That was a bid card in the pocket. Hats off to all the ladies there that
helped and who were behind the scenes. They really worked VERY hard at
making this happen. I really felt bad for some of the sellers. Man, some
of that stuff was just given away. That oil filled picture frame was just
awesome. Someone got a killer once in a life time deal there....that's for
sure. All I can say there is Ebay, buddy!

For those we met, it was an honor and pleasure. Someone mentioned in
another thread about "passing it forward". Wendy and I had the great
opportunity of spending the weekend with Ruben and got an education of a
life time. It will take me 6 months or more for it all to sink in. I
thought I knew chondrites....man, was I wrong! And, those enstatites...I
would have never figured.

Got to see a "maybe" be XRF'ed and that was interesting. Can you imagine
having that tool 20 years ago?

My buddy Jason Snyder got one of his small Franconia Irons (SaW's??) XRF'd
and it verified a bunch of nickel....that should end the "train-wreck"
naysayers!!

John B's talk was interesting and we filmed that. Just went through the
video and it's pretty good. Was a pleasure meeting John, what a great guy!
His talk was from the heart and at one point I felt his passion and emotion.
What an honor meeting him! He too was "passing it forward" this weekend
with my buddy, Jason.

Wendy found her first meteorite that evening! There were chondrites placed
in the cake and after everyone finished singing happy birthday, the cake was
cut and shared with all (good cake too). Anyways, Wendy's slice had a nice
meteorite in it. I've already windowed it for her and she will keep it
forever in her collection. Who says you can't find a meteorite and eat your
cake too!!

Made some great deals on some meteorites and never did see the whole show.
The video stuff took a lot of time and none of us wanted to disappoint. It
was history in the making, IMHO. So that just leaves me waiting for next
year and looking forward to it!

Out of all the rooms I visited, I had two favorites. For display, I give
Anne Black's room a number 1 and I give Mike Miller's the number two spot.
For educational and historic purposes for which interest me, I give Mike
Miller's room a #1. We visited his room a couple of times and he talked
about some of his experiences in the field and had a "box of education" on
his bed that was a wealth of information for me and where I spend a lot of
time hunting. Met Sonny and Georgia and Brix there and had lunch with them.
What nice folks! I was just great meeting everyone!

My AARP card did absolutely no good anywhere in Tucson. Weather was cool
and comfortable. Great time, overloaded with information I need to process
over time and it's now time for me to get back to hunting.

Kind Regards,

Jim Wooddell